GATE Material Search

Thursday, March 6, 2014

EET (CTech) FAQ

Recently I got in touch with one of my juniors who joined M. Tech in Computer Technology (EET, also known as CTech) at IIT Delhi. I wanted to know how is his experience with EET as a CS student. I asked him some basic questions that I thought would be on everybody's mind. I am copying the answers he gave me below




Q: How is the selection process? What are some of the questions asked.
A: Once the cut off is cleared, interviews would be to an extent based on the background. Data structures/Algo, Networks is asked irrespective of the backgrounds.

Q: Can an EET student take up a course at CSE dept.
A: Yes, EET students can take up courses from CSE department. Two courses from CSE department fall in our program electives. Besides students can take courses from CSE dept as their Open Electives. Note that though most of the program electives in EET are from Electrical Department, most of them are very relevant to CS students e.g. Computer Graphics, Network Security, Image Processing, Pattern Recognition etc.

Q: Can an EET student take up his major project at CS dept.
A: Yes, students can do major projects under CSE dept. and there is a student from my batch doing so. However, to get the nod to do a project under any prof in CSE dept is not that easy. One should be good enough to convince the professor. And I feel that, taking his/her course should be a platform for that.



Q: Are EET students eligible for all the good CS/IT companies?
 A: EET students are eligible for most of the CS/IT companies, but not all. So there would be about 10 companies like Adobe, Rocket Fuel, SAP etc., which would be open for MCS students, but not EET. Regarding placements, many companies will open for CTech, ultimately its how well prepared one is.

Q: Anything else regarding EET that you would like everyone to know
A: Well I am happy about the decision to take EET. It is not a pure computer science program, as in the students would be from ECE/CS/IT. One would get to learn about hardware here and I found it nice to learn something other than just pure coding.
This course is  more focused  and recognized for Machine Learning, Pattern Recognition, Embedded Programming. If one likes Comp tech course structure one should go for it, I think.




Like my facebook page below to keep in touch with me. I will keep posting any links/resources relevant to M. Tech. You can also ask questions you might have on the Facebook page, and I will try to answer.

20 comments:

  1. IITG and R are not bad and a lot of good companies go there for campus. If you get these institutes, you can give a serious thought to joining them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your info. I truly appreciate your efforts and I will be waiting for your further write ups thank you once again.
    http://www.iwalkusa.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. JCA does allow other branches to take admission, but which branches are allowed, what is the GATE score requirement etc. you should check in IITD PG brochure.
    Note that JCA is computer intensive, and non-CS people sometimes find it tough. You might find it difficult to survive in IIT or get a good placement unless your CS concepts are very good. So take your decision wisely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Many many congrats sir for AIR 107......

    I am a future gate cse aspirant (2017).....

    I hope you will help me in future by giving me proper guidance how to get such a nice rank....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Many many congrats for AIR 4......

    I am a future gate cse aspirant (2017).....

    I hope you will help me in future by giving me proper guidance how to get such a nice rank....

    ReplyDelete
  6. hello..
    i am btech final year cse student..i have secured air 190..what are my chances for gettinh admission in iit kgp,iit r and iit g

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have very good chance, have you applied at other iits like IITK, IITD and IITM?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I
    completed B.E (computer science) in the year 2013 with 94.7%. I work for a company which pays be 6L CTC. , I
    am confused whether to work hard to clear GATE 15 and get into IITs and try for
    placements from there or brush up and strengthen my data structures and
    algorithmic skills which many companies expect from candidates and try to
    attend interviews and get better job on my own.

    ReplyDelete
  9. if placements is your only priority then I suggest you should try to get a job on your own. you will not like IIT very much if you dont have an academic interest.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How is vit vellore for M.tech vlsi?

    ReplyDelete
  11. sorry, the question is too specific...only somebody who has studied there could answer.

    ReplyDelete
  12. How big a role does your UG academics matter when attending placements in IIT ? Do they look at history of arrears ? Minimum CGPA ? Etc ?

    ReplyDelete
  13. hey rajat,
    just wanted to let you knw that ML is very good scope at iit d apart from iisc bangalore. u have manik verma as prof who is 'the best' in the area in India!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Siddharth KulshresthJuly 7, 2014 at 11:58 PM

    How did you get 94% in btech!Which univ?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sir, how is MNNIT allahabad is for M,Tech in Computer science?

    ReplyDelete
  16. I thank you very much for such an interesting and informative article.Nowhere I got such valuable information on websites like Quora but here.
    I am a Computer Engineer from 2013 batch.I had taken a year gap for personal reason.I had a few chances to do job but I preferred not joining.I was pretty much confused about among MBA or M.Tech as a master degree.I chose MBA and started preparing for same. Now I have a chance to do MBA in IT/Operation field from a B-Category business school after which will fetch me placement of 4-5 lpa.

    But I appeared for GATE'14,too. With one day preparation I got 19 %le. Of course I did not qualify.But I got confidence that I can crack GATE and get into IITs or IISc. Keeping my personal penchant toward computer studies and research please advise me whether I should start preparing for M.tech, do a job simultaneously or do MBA right now.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I just joined my first year B.tech IT....I am planning to do M.tech Cse at IIts...is it good to start my preparation from my second year and is self studying enough ? And if we complete M.tech from IITs many say that due to competition even brighter students are avoided..... Is there a possibility for not getting a job after doing M.tech at Iits ?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yes, you can start your prep from second year and self study should be enough. In the current scenario, you should be able to get a job after m.tech unless you do really really bad in mtech. the most brightest students are recruited by the first few companies and then there are more companies and less students. Hope this answers your question.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi,
    Thanks for such a valuable information. Just for a confirmation, I am working in HP package is 8 lacs/year experience is 4 +, age is 26. This year I secured 1700 rank in GATE CS.
    I am badly willing to do Mtech from IIT or IISC. But few people say you are a fool, it's not a good idea to leave my career and pursuing Mtech. it's really a tough decision for me. I am also preparing this year and expecting myself in top 50. Please tell me Am I going on a right path.
    Please do respond! Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. hello...
    sir i got a rank of 145 in cs...i want to choose ai for mtech.between iit delhi and iit kharagpur which one wud be better???

    ReplyDelete